Release Date 02 June 2010
The National Insulation Association (NIA) represents over 90% of the insulation industry in the UK and has put together ten facts that will help inform homeowners about Cavity Wall Insulation (CWI).
1. The NIA highlights that around a third of a home's heat can be lost through un-insulated cavity walls. A hassle-free way to save energy and prevent money disappearing into thin air is to stop this heat escaping with Cavity Wall Insulation (CWI).
2. CWI pays for itself in around 2 years and will typically save around £115 a year on householder’s fuel bills year on year!
3. CWI can reduce a home’s carbon footprint saving around 610kg of CO2 a year. If every UK household suitable for CWI installed it, a saving of 4 million tonnes of CO2 every year could be made.
4. An independent 25 year guarantee will be provided by the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency (CIGA) when CWI is installed.
5. Homeowners can also be safe in the knowledge that an NIA installer will have signed up to a strict Code of Professional Practice.
6. CWI can be installed in half a day and isn’t disruptive or damaging to a house. It is installed by drilling a series of small holes no bigger than a ten pence piece in the mortar between the bricks of a house, before blowing insulation through the holes until the gap or ‘cavity’ between the external and internal wall is completely filled. The hole will then be filled.
7. The cost of having CWI has never been lower, as there are a range of grants and subsidies available and in some cases it could even be free!
8. Tax allowances of up to £1,500 are available until 2015 for Landlords through the Landlords Energy Saving Allowance. This allowance can be used on each of the properties a landlord owns, enabling landlords to claim the costs for cavity wall insulation and other insulation solutions.
9. The best way to find out if a house is suitable for CWI is to contact an NIA installer member for a free survey and quotation. Homeowners can find the nearest installer by using the postcode locater search on the NIA’s home page.
10. If a home was built in the last ten years, it is likely that the cavity is already insulated. However, homeowners should visit the NIA’s website www.nationalinsulationassociation.org.uk for other insulation solutions that could make their properties even more energy efficient.
07 May 2014
NIA to support its members in promoting and accessing the Government's new Green Deal Home Improvement Fund
01 May 2014
NIA to host stakeholder workshop to address fuel poverty amongst private households living in solid wall properties
28 April 2014
NIA calls on DECC to work with industry to scale back ECO cuts as another report claims cuts are excessive
14 February 2014
NIA to introduce new technical support service for specifiers of Solid Wall Insulation
30 January 2014
Northern Ireland could save £144 million on energy bills - Act now and insulate advise NIA
28 November 2013
NIA calls on Prime Minister and Chancellor to strengthen ECO in Autumn Statement not roll it back!
10 October 2013
NIA repeats its call for urgent reforms to Green Deal and ECO to kick start home insulation and help hard pressed families this winter
23 September 2013
NIA calls for urgent intervention as latest DECC statistics for Green Deal and ECO show that insulation activity levels continue to be well below expectations and requirements
05 September 2013
NIA's advice is to Insulate now as 1 in 3 people in the UK are concerned about their heating bills
22 August 2013
NIA and CITB introduce new Internal Wall Insulation Specialist Up-Skilling Training Programme
22 August 2013
NIA extremely concerned with latest Green Deal/ECO statistics and calls for urgent intervention
15 August 2013
NIA responds to suggestions by Ed Davey that there is a shortage of Solid Wall Insulation Installers
15 April 2013
First NIA and DECC Green Deal Solid Wall Insulation Briefing Event for Local Authorities receives positive feedback
22 February 2013
NIA advises householders to insulate homes as energy regulator predicts higher energy bills
11 January 2013
Top Ten insulation facts to help save money and keep your home warm and cosy as the cold weather bites
11 January 2013
National Insulation Association announces plans to establish a new external stakeholder forum for Solid Wall Insulation
07 December 2012
Insulation industry delegates converge at NIA's Annual Conference in Stratford upon Avon
07 August 2012
National Insulation Association establishes new industry group to lead the expansion of the Solid Wall Insulation market