As much as a third of the heat you pay for could be escaping through your roof. Most loft insulation materials work by preventing the movement of heated air through the material. The Government say that you cut your energy bill by up to 20% through effectively insulating your loft.
- Loft insulation is located between the joists on the loft floor of your property (show picture) (Roof Insulation is located between the tiles and the rafters)
- The main materials used by NIA installers are Blown Mineral Wool (Glass or Rock Wool), Blown Cellulose (Recycled Newspaper), Quilted Mineral Wool (Glass or Rock Wool)
- The recommended depth for loft insulation is 270 millimetres for glass wool, 250 millimetres for rock wool or 220 millimetres for cellulose.
- Loft Insulation can help lower your heating bills, lower wear and tear on your boiler and reduce global warming and climate change
- Loft Insulation can give you an annual saving of between £45 to £150
- There are a number of grants and schemes available to home owners which can substantially reduce the cost of installing these products.
|Measure||Annual Saving (£/yr)||Installed Cost £||Installed Payback
|Loft Insulation (0 – 270mm)
||Up to 2 years
|Loft Insulation (100 – 270mm)
||Up to 12 years